My housemate Fran made these desserts last night to finish off a very successful Christmas dinner (for eleven!). It was a really nice end to the meal - the topping is creamy and also sweet, which contrasts nicely with the slightly boozy jelly that is just a little bit sharp.
- 10 sheets gelatine
- 500ml full-bodied, red wine
- 300ml orange juice
- 2tbsp honey
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml whipping cream
- 2tsp caster sugar
- small amount of chocolate to decorate
- Soak the gelatine in 3-4 tablespoons cold water for 5 minutes.
- Heat the wine, orange juice, honey, lemon peel and spices together in a pan, bring just to the boil to reduce the alcohol, then take off the heat. Remove the gelatine from the water and shake gently. Add to the pan and stir until melted. Strain and pour into 6 small wine glasses (glass ice cream bowls or even tea cups will do). Leave to set for about 4 hours, or overnight.
- Add the vanilla extract to the cream, lightly whip with the caster sugar, then spoon on top of the set jelly. Grate over the chocolate to decorate. Serve chilled.