Thursday, 26 July 2012
Ten Things About Me
Earlier this month Laura posted a list of things about herself, admitting that as a shy person she usually avoids revealing personal things about herself on her blog. I can certainly empathise with this standpoint - as a kid I was painfully shy which was often mistaken for standoffishness. Nowadays shyness isn't such the major problem it was when I was younger, but that's not to say I'm a beacon of confidence now! I guess I have just got a bit better at not letting my shyness get in the way too much, and to make sure people know that if I'm being a bit quiet it's not through rudeness! I'd particularly like to get better at being more confident/assertive at work, but I suppose we all have things we'd like to improve about ourselves.
Laura's post also drew attention to posts by Rhianne and Zoe. Rhianne's post is more of a general '10 things you didn't know about me', while Zoe's talks about the issue of 'blog envy' (something we're all guilty of surely?) and keeping it real in the blog world. All of these posts made me realise that while many people find it hard to reveal personal things about themselves in the blogosphere, and probably most people wouldn't want to write (or read) a blog that takes this form 100% of the time, they can be a really nice touch - I know I enjoyed getting an little insight into these bloggers' worlds outside of the web. Saying that, this post has been sitting in my draft folder for a couple of weeks, so perhaps I'm more reluctant to reveal personal things about myself than I realised!
Anyway, without further adieu, here's ten things you probably didn't know about me....
1. I can't play a single musical instrument, although I had a go at keyboard growing up and have been in possession of a ukulele for several years. I hear ukulele is just about the easiest instrument you can learn, so I have no excuse really. I think I just have no patience for instruments because you don't get the kind of instant, tangible reward you get with other things, like craft. Okay, so when your first learning something like crochet your efforts might be a bit pants, but they're still little bits that you can hold in your hand and say, 'I made this'. I just don't get that thing from learning an instrument, although I'm determined to let Ben teach me at least the very basics on the uke this year! I do really like to sing though.
2. I cannot stand blue cheese. In any form. CANNOT STAND IT. And I am not a fussy eat - I like the taste of literally every food, as far as I can think of. Just no blue cheese. Ever.
3. My family is small but lovable; just me, my paternal Grandparents, my auntie and uncle, and my two younger cousins Betty and Dec. I grew up seeing my cousins quite a lot, which was nice as an only child. They've always been my 'baby cousins', so it's quite a shock when I remember they're now 19 and 20 respectively - how old must I be?! Yikes.
4. In the summer between the second and third year of uni I spent a month in the Philippines doing a TEFL course, on the island of Cebu. It was my first time abroad on my own, and it was very humid and very different, but in hindsight pretty cool.
5. I watch A LOT of cooking programmes and read a bunch of food blogs, probably too many, which might be why I spend half the time thinking about what I am going to eat for my next meal.
6. I've never actually lived in the same city as my boyfriend Ben (yet!). We met (in the pub, naturally) through a friend on one of my weekend visits back to Nottingham. We worked out that there must have only been about two weeks between my leaving Nottingham and Ben moving there to start his phd. We could have easily never met at all - so I'm very glad we did!
7. If there ever came a day when I wasn't allowed to stick cotton buds in my ears I would die a little bit inside.
8. I have a massive fear of daddy long legs. Like, run-out-of-the-room-screaming-like-a-maniac kind of fear. I'm not really bothered by spiders (I wouldn't them walking on me in my sleep or anything, but they don't make me flee a room), but daddy long legs FREAK ME. THE HELL. OUT.
9. I was a fat kid. Oh, and I had terrible terrible skin as a tween/teen too. Due to this there are few - if any - photos of me in existence from these years. Tons of baby photos, mountains of photos from the start of uni onwards, but very little in between.
10. I used to have a big mad crush on Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I also used to love the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer.